There's so much to know when it comes to vaping! With so many different terms and acronyms used in the vaping community, it can be challenging to keep up with the lingo. That's why our MiVapeCo. team have put together this guide to help you understand the vaping vocabulary and acronyms to help you navigate the wonderful world of vaping!
To start, let's define vaping. Vaping is the act of inhaling and exhaling vapor produced by an electronic cigarette or other vaping device. These devices heat a liquid, also known as e-juice/e-liquid, which typically contains nicotine, flavorings, and other chemicals. Vaping requires a vast variety of different tools and supplies as well, and we've gone through defining some key words you'll hear in our shops:
Let's start with a list of common vaping terminology that you may encounter in your vaping journey:
- Atomizer: The component in a vaping device that heats the e-juice to produce vapor. Atomizers are often referred to as coils, meaning prebuilt coils, that are ready to go for your convenience!
- Coil: A wire coil that heats the e-juice and turns it into vapor.
- Mod: A vaping device with advanced features and customization options.
- Tank: The container that holds the e-juice in a vaping device.
- Nicotine: A highly addictive substance found in e-juice.
- Salt Nicotine: Nicotine modified with sodium, salt nicotine is stronger than traditional nicotine and is used to help users quit cigarettes at the pack level.
- E-juice: The liquid used in a vaping device, which usually contains nicotine, flavorings, and other chemicals.
- Freebase: e-liquid designed for higher temperature vaping, comes in low strengths of nicotine.
- Cloud chasing: The act of exhaling large amounts of vapor for entertainment or competition.
- FDA: The United States Food and Drug Administration, which regulates the sale of electronic cigarettes and other vaping products.
- PG: Propylene glycol, a common ingredient in e-juice that helps to produce vapor. PG is responsible for high cloud production, giving you big, thick clouds of vapor when you use your device!
- VG: Vegetable glycerin, another common ingredient in e-juice that helps to produce vapor. VG is responsible for binding to the additives in e-liquid, which brings users flavorful and impactful puffs!
- RDA: Rebuildable dripping atomizer, a type of vaping device that allows users to build their own coils.
- RTA: Rebuildable tank atomizer, a type of vaping device that allows users to build their own coils and includes a tank to hold e-juice.
- Ohm: A unit of electrical resistance used to measure the resistance of the coil in a vaping device.
- Sub-ohm: Refers to a coil with a resistance below one ohm, which is often used to produce large amounts of vapor. Sub-ohm vapes are designed to use freebase liquid.
- Dripper: A type of vaping device that requires the user to drip e-juice directly onto the atomizer.
- Mouth-to-lung (MTL): A vaping style that involves inhaling vapor into the mouth before inhaling it into the lungs. MTL vaping is the common style for salt nicotine devices!
- Direct-to-lung (DTL): A vaping style that involves inhaling vapor directly into the lungs. DTL is the common style for freebase juice.
Now that you have a better understanding of the vaping vocabulary and acronyms, you may be wondering why so many people are drawn to this hobby. The truth is, vaping can be a fun and enjoyable way to relax and socialize with others who share similar interests. Plus, many people find that vaping helps them quit smoking cigarettes, which can be a significant benefit for their overall health.
Overall, vaping is a unique hobby with its own set of vocabulary and acronyms. There's always so much to learn as the vape industry grows by the day!
By taking the time to get familiar with these terms, you can better understand the vaping community and the devices used in this hobby. Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned vaper, understanding these terms is essential for navigating the world of vaping. So, get out there and start exploring the world of vaping – there's a whole new vocabulary to discover! We'll meet you in-store or online when you're ready to explore your options to join in on the vape world!